Dublin GPO, O'Connell street photographs

Constructed between 1814-18, the GPO (General Post Office) building which was at the center of the 1916 Easter Rising is located on O'Connell Street - the capital's main thoroughfare. The Irish Declaration of Independence - & Proclamation of the Irish Republic was first announced there by Pádraig Pearse in April 1916. During the insurrection the building was shelled by British artillery & a gunboat on the Liffey, It remained gutted and in a derelict state for several years afterwards. The GPO building was restored during the 1920's when Ireland became a Free State & secured Independence from Britain in 1922.
The rooftop statues represent Fidelity, Hibernia & Mercury.

Dublin GPO building on O'Connell Street
Dublin GPO building (General Post Office) on O'Connell Street.

GPO building, O'Connell street Dublin O'Connell Street Dublin city Ireland & historic GPO building
Original Dublin Ireland photographs © Irelandposters, All rights reserved.
aerial photo GPO 2016 courtesy Irish Air Corps
Aerial view of GPO & inner courtyard, 2016 image courtesy Irish Air Corps.
Images of historic buildings & Dublin landmarks with location details.

Dublin Castle, Kylemore Abbey, famous Irish places photographic prints.

Irish posters & Ireland photographs - main contents.
 

GPO Dublin city Ireland postcard
GPO Dublin,

Central Dublin Ireland postcard.