Grattan Bridge is located at the end of Capel Street & links to the Dublin Quays & Parliament Street.|
Originaly named the Essex Bridge & built in 1676, it was rebuilt to cope with increased traffic in the capital & widened in 1755 on the plan of London's Westminster bridge. (The building expenses amounted to Stg £ 20,661).
The bridge was reopened in 1874 & renamed Grattan Bridge after the Irish parlimentarian Henry Grattan - (1746-1820).
James Malton 1797 print of Capel Street, looking over Essex Bridge Dublin.
Grattan Bridge image & River Liffey Dublin, Sunlight Chambers building is to the right of picture.
Photos of the decorative inlay on the Sunlight Chambers building on the corner of Parliament Street Dublin.
The building was originally the headquarters for the Lever Brothers detergent company & their product Sunlight Soap, the images depict people in various settings using the company's product.
Photos © Brendan Doyle & irelandposters.
Henry Grattan statue & 1930's College Green Dublin city centre.
Photo guide to famous Dublin landmarks, with location information.
Views of 19th century Ireland towns & countryside, antique Irish prints.
Ireland posters & Irish picture gallery.