|The Art Deco style building pictured below is located opposite Stephens Green. It's at the south end of Grafton Street, a fashionable shopping area with street traders & musicians. Grafton street is named - as is nearby Duke Street - after the Second Duke of Grafton. He was a local land owner & also deputy Lord Lieutenant of Ireland between 1715 & 1723.|
The vintage photographs depict the corner as it was in the early 1930's & 1950s. Some of the Duke's properties in the area were developed by Joshua Dawson & nearby Dawson Street is named after him.
|Contemporary & vintage images of Grafton Street, central Dublin.
Art Deco building Grafton Street, South King Street junction, 2006 photo © irelandposters.com
1930s Grafton street view from Stephens Green entrance. Two women in period dress conversing on the pavement. In the background, a policeman directs traffic at the junction. On left is South King Street, the corner public house has gone, having been consumed by redevelopment. The block today houses the Stephens Green Shopping Center.
Stephens Green shopping center & South King Street.
Dublin photograph 2003 © Irelandposters. All rights reserved.
Since the early 1900's Grafton Street was on the main tram routes into the city from affluent south side suburbs - Rathgar, Terenure, Rathmines & Dartry, near Churchtown.|
View of Grafton Street near Trinity College & College Green. 1905 photo by W. Lawrence.
1930's O'Connell Bridge & Guinness barge video clip.|
Images of Grafton Street Dublin & Bewleys Oriental Cafe.
Ireland postcards - Drimnagh castle, Co. Clare farmhouses, Irish country views & Dublin landmarks.
View a photo-guide to famous monuments & historic buildings in Dublin City.
Ireland posters & Irish picture gallery - main contents.