Four Courts Dublin history

The historic Four Courts, where the sittings of the Irish Supreme Court, High, Circuit & District Courts take place.   The building was founded by the Duke of Rutland - Lord Lieutenant of Ireland in 1786, its construction having begun in 1776. The original architect Thomas Cooley, who also designed the Royal Exchange Building - now City Hall, died in 1784 before its completion.
James Gandon was appointed as architect to complete the project, and added features including the four courts to the original designs. The rooftop sculptures by Edward Smyth represent Moses, Authority, Justice & Wisdom. The building was completed in 1802.

Four Courts building, Dublin Ireland
River Liffey & Four Courts building, Dublin.

At the outbreak of the Irish civil war (1921-1922), the building's ornate interior & original copper domed rotunda roof sustained extensive damage during fighting between the Anti-Treaty & Irish Free State forces when the building was shelled with 18-pounder field guns on June 28th 1921.
Before the Anti-Treaty forces surrendered two days later, the public records office and many irreplaceable documents & historical records were destroyed by fire following an explosion in the building.
Four Courts Dublin on fire during outbreak of Irish civil war 1921
The Four Courts on fire in June 1921
Irish Republican Army volunteeers, Grafton street 1922
 IRA volunteers in Grafton street 1922.
River Liffey Dublin & Four Courts
River Liffey & Four Courts building
Four Courts Dublin columns & Rotunda style roof
Four Courts columns & Rotunda style roof.
Dublin photographs © Irelandposters. All rights reserved.

War of Independence images - Dublin 1916 & Michael Collins movie location photos.

View a photo-guide to historic Dublin landmarks.

Ireland posters & Irish pictures - main contents.
 
Privacy policy.