19th century Dublin City gate, Richmond tower Kilmainham

Historic Dublin City buildings

Richmond Tower was formerly one of Dublin city's gatehouses. Built of Dublin granite it was designed by Francis Johnson & named after the Duke of Richmond who formally opened it in 1812. In the 19th century it was located at the junction of Watling Street & Victoria Quay.
When the railway terminal at nearby Kingsbridge (now Heuston) station opened in 1846, the resultant increase in traffic caused congestion daily at the gatehouse junction. In 1847 It was taken down & relocated a short distance away to the entrance drive & West Avenue at the   Royal Hospital Kilmainham.
19th century Richmond Tower, Kilmainham Dublin photograph
Richmond Tower, Kilmainham Dublin.
Richmond tower Kilmainham, 19th century Dublin city gate
Richmond tower Kilmainham, 19th century Dublin city gate.
Dublin photographs © irelandposters.com.

A Photographic guide to historic buildings & Irish landmarks in Dublin city Ireland.

Irish posters & Ireland pictures main contents.