Antique Dublin park - Stephens Green images

Stephen's Green public park is located near the Shelbourne Hotel in central Dublin city & originally comprised of 27 acres.It had been public land until 1663 when the City Council closed public access & sold some of the property.   Sir Arthur Guinness, Member of Parliament & founder of the Guinness Brewery, proposed the bill which restored public access to Stephens Green in 1877. The park's ornamental gardens & fountains were laid out during the 1880's & were funded by Sir Arthur Guinness (Lord Ardilaun).
Stephens Green Victorian gardens, Dublin city Ireland
View of Stephens Green antique Dublin park & gardens, with a Victorian shelter in background.
Stephens Green antique public park, central Dublin Ireland
Dubliners relaxing in Stephens Green park.
Dublin photographs 1997.
Stephens Green Dublin park, 1796 print by James Malton
Stephens Green 1796, print by James Malton.
The antique print above depicts deer grazing in the park enclosed by trees & hedging, with strollers & onlookers outside the park boundary.

View Larger Map
Image of Fusiliers Arch at the north-west of Stephens Green park.

View a photo-guide to famous Dublin landmarks, includes history details.

Ireland posters &  Irish picture gallery - main contents
 

Stephens Green Dublin postcard
Stephens Green
postcard.
The duck pond & Victorian bandstand in Stephens Green Dublin.